Job ID: 2019-2101
Type: Regular Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Most important, UFG can offer you a work environment where you can easily see yourself in the big picture from day one. You become part of a successful team that works together to do great things. In addition, we believe in supporting our employees by providing a great benefits plan and allowing our people to develop flexible work hours that align with their personal schedule.
UFG is seeking a Claims Supervisor to monitor and direct the adjustment of claims by internal and independent claim representatives. This includes initial directions, coverage analysis, review of work product and general technical expertise as required based on the complexity of the claim, and the experience of the Claim Representative. Monitor and direct experts and attorneys as required based on the complexity of the loss and/or legal proceedings .
- Provide direction, control and guidance to claims staff in the investigation and conclusion of claims.
- Analyze investigative material for liability exposure, coverage and damages to determine reserves and settlement values.
- Negotiate directly with insured, claimants or counsel in settling losses.
- Assist set up unit in review of new claim reports and assigns to appropriate Claim Representative with handling instructions.
- Receive, evaluate and assign to counsel suits commenced against our insured or the company. Provide guidance to counsel and coordinate any additional investigation required.
- Maintain records of performance for Claims Representatives. Consult with Branch Claim Manager on performance reviews and personally go through the review with each employee.
- Maintain relations with underwriters, auditors, marketing and agents operating within the territory.
- Regular attendance.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Four year college degree
- A minimum of five years of P&C claims supervisory experience
- Prior field adjusting experience preferred
- AIC, SCLA, CCLA or PCLA designations are preferred.
- Strong leadership ability with proven capability to train, mentor, and develop subordinates
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to navigate complex situations
- Strong knowledge of claims environment including reserving, loss development, industry trends and P&C line of business expertise.