Director of Premium Audit
Director of Premium Audit
Job ID: 2019-2094
Type: Regular Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
Category: Corporate Underwriting
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
This position is responsible for correctly identifying and determining proper earned premium on adjustable and reporting form coverage policies or for the servicing of the same. Under general direction and reporting to a member of the senior leadership team of Corporate Underwriting, is accountable for contributing to the profitable operation of all businesses within UFG by leading a team which has responsibility for some aspect of determining proper earned premiums on adjustable and reporting form coverage policies or for the servicing of same.
- Coach, mentor and motivate a staff which may be remote.
- Perform all necessary staff management functions to meet production goals and to assure that compliance and performance standards are achieved.
- Perform in-person visits annually with staff to assure adherence to UFG's best practices and to monitor the job knowledge level of staff. Where in-person visits are not feasible, manager should have a minimum of monthly calls or 1:1s with staff.
- Manage staff performance through regular conversations.
- Develop and train new staff to achievement of goals by frequent in-person visits or in-office training and with frequent phone check-ins.
- Implement operations and premium audit strategies, policies, work flow processes and standards. Ensure effective utilization of these strategies, policies, etc. by the staff.
- Monitor the performance of the region/functional unit against established goals and performance standards. Initiate action to correct deficiencies where necessary. Adjust as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal business partners to assure their premium audit needs are being met and concerns are addressed.
- Assure the timely completion of account audits within territory and act as a liaison with audit personnel and brokers, agents and insureds as appropriate.
- Assure implementation of initiatives to maintain effective use of technology to ensure high quality service to business units and external customers such as brokers, agents and insureds.
- Represent the interests of Premium Audit to brokers, agents and insureds as necessary and appropriate.
- Analyze premium audit issues in support of varied lines of business.
- Direct the integration of audit related issues with underwriting management to resolve problems.
- Provide management information as necessary and utilize all available resources in a cost effective manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
- 7+ years Premium Audit experience preferred.
- 2+ years management experience preferred.
- Experience leading a virtual team preferred.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Solid communication skills and analytical aptitude required.
- Advanced knowledge of the premium audit function, premium audit systems and premium audit processing.
- Familiarity with all related Commercial Lines functions (i.e., underwriting and marketing) preferred. Strong customer orientation and ability to build and maintain successful relationships within the company and with external contacts preferred.