Regional Strategic Planning Analyst
Regional Strategic Planning Analyst
Job ID: 2019-2096
Type: Regular Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Review, evaluate and recommend rates, rules and forms to facilitate the development of UFG products specific to the needs of the regional office. Serve as the technical resource for the various lines of business written by the region and provide production and loss analysis for those lines as needed. Provide advice on regulatory, legislative and governmental issues.
- Line of Business Management
- Coordinate rate reviews and recommendations by state, territory and line of business.
- Assist in developing a competitive advantage by performing rate and program comparison analysis, including a competitor analysis to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of current and potential competitors.
- Provide recommendations to improve current and create new forms, endorsements and coverage enhancements that will allow for the profitable production of business in line with the regional underwriting and marketing philosophy.
- Interact with state departments of insurance as needed.
- Program Development
- Organize the research, analysis, development and implementation of class specific programs to improve our market penetration in the states we serve.
- Coordinate regional input into Home Office product development.
- Risk Exposure and Analysis
- Provide premium and loss analysis as requested on lines of business to identify trends, loss drivers and risk characteristics that will enable the implementation of proactive or corrective action plans.
- Work with reinsurers to monitor our catastrophe exposure through the analysis of various reports, models, etc.
- Aid in the development of regional marketing and underwriting plans that mitigate our exposure to CAT losses.
- Provide post loss analysis of book of business following a CAT event.
- Regulatory/Governmental Liaison
- Monitor regulatory and governmental issues and proposed legislation affecting the insurance industry.
- Interaction with industry trade associations and lobbying groups.
- Four year college degree is preferred
- Active participation in insurance industry education programs
- One or more industry designations are desired: CPCU, AU, ARM, CIC, CRIS and ARE.
- 5+ years underwriting, marketing and/or claims experience with a property and casualty insurance company.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Planning, organizing and managing multiple priorities with limited supervision.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Written and oral communication skills, including presentation ability.
- Knowledge of commercial insurance coverages and policy construction.
- Loss development and basic actuarial concepts.
- Legal concepts relating to insurance coverages.
- Basic reinsurance knowledge, treaty and facultative.
- Ability to garner competitive information.
- Ability to research state and federal regulations.
- Familiarity with Department of Insurance filing requirements, rules and regulations.